Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Lesson #19

The Iceberg article was interesting, and I found myself not necessarily agreeing with alot of what they said. My biggest problem with the article was that they seemed to leave out the idea of the library being a "community" place. For one thing, many of our patrons don't want to be self-sufficient. They come into our buildings for some social interraction. What happened to the days of discussing the latest best seller?

As I read on, I found a paragraph from the article titled Into a New World of Librarianship that particularly struck me: "This librarian does not buy technology for the sake of technology. “Techno-worship” does not exist here. Without a firm foundation in the mission and goals of the institution, new technologies are not implemented for the sake of coolness and status. " I liked what he said here. Although new technology is very important, I agree with him that buying simply because it's new, is not the wisest. Unfortunately, we've learned that the hard way at KCLS particularly with Millennium and possibly AMH as well...

No comments: